The church with the open doors
An article at the time in the parish magazine records:
“The Tablet will make a noble addition to the ornaments which we possess at Holy Trinity. It is of carved oak, richly coloured, and bears the heraldic arms of the Diocese of Southwark and of the Greening family. We wish to record our deep gratitude to Miss H Greening for this handsome and generous gift to the Church. It is a gift which is indeed valuable now, but which, as the years roll on, will have an increasing value and interest to the generations yet to come.”
Two vicars stand out as leaders of the enlargement and improvement of the church building.
Rev C H Potter and Rev W B Lindesay
Revd J H Potter served as vicar from 1882 to 1905, a time of explosive growth in Tooting’s population and of the housebuilding needed to accommodate this. Holy Trinity was a prosperous and thriving church as never before. Revd Potter worked tirelessly to meet the needs of the local population, including for a much expanded place of worship. He oversaw the enlargement of the north and south aisles, the addition of vestries on both sides of the church, and improvements to the chancel. Most of the fittings of note, including the clock, the pulpit, the lectern and the organ date from this time.
Panel in chapel to commemorate Rev W B Lindesay
As vicar from 1905 to 1917, Revd W B Lindesay brought in a striking scheme of decoration that transformed the church interior. The chief element was a series of wall paintings in the baptistery and side chapel painted by a congregation member, Richard Castle. See here for a full account of the paintings.
The wall around the chancel arch, and others, were painted with an elaborate scheme of leaf and flower pattern decoration in Gothic style, but were sadly painted over in the 1950s, when simpler tastes prevailed.